Principal SMT Consultant
Joe Belmonte is a Principal Consultant with ITM Consulting (Durham, New Hampshire). He has been a process engineer and process engineering manager in the electronic manufacturing industry for more than 25 years with experience in all aspects of electronic product assembly operations.
His past positions include being a manager of advanced manufacturing engineering as well as a supplier engineer at Bose Corporation, a consultant at Cookson Electronics/Speedline Technologies Performance Solutions Group, and project manager at Speedline Technologies Advanced Process Group. He was also a director of process technology, a position where he managed the application engineering and process development functions.
At ITM Consulting, Joe’s area of responsibility includes working with OEMs, contract assemblers, and equipment manufacturers to solve design and assembly problems, optimize facility operations, and teach basic and new technologies in private and public forums throughout the industry, worldwide. His area of expertise includes:
- Design for Manufacturability (DFM) Specification Development
- Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Equipment Evaluation and Selection
- Implementation of BGA, CSP, and Flip Chip and Miniature Component Assembly
- Lead-Free Assembly
- Manufacturing Systems Assessment
- Manufacturing Yield Improvement
- New Product Introduction (NPI)
- On-Site Training for All Levels of Personnel
- Pin in Paste Process
- Process Design
- Process Layout and Installation
- Process Optimization
- Process Structure and Documentation Development
- Quality Systems Review (QSR)
- Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing
- SMT Implementation and Assembly Facility Set-Up
- SMT Manufacturing Process Audits and Process Improvement
- SMT Process Equipment Benchmark Testing and Evaluation
- SMT Product Development
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
Joe is well known throughout Asia for both his process work and teaching engagements. He has written papers for and made technical presentations at numerous industry trade shows and professional society meetings, including Nepcon West, Nepcon East, IPC/SMTA Conference, APEX, Productronica, IPC Singapore Lead-Free Conference, Mexitronica, and numerous SMTA Chapter meetings.
Furthermore, he is the co-holder of the United States Patent (US Patent Number 6,572,702) for High-Speed Electronic Systems and Methods.
Joe has been a senior member of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) for more than 20 years. He served as a member of the Electronic Manufacturing Association of SME Board of Advisors and was the chairman of the EM/SME board of advisors in 1996 and 2002.
He was a member of the Motorola Corporate TOPS (Technical Operations) Council and has authored a technical column for Circuit Assembly Magazine. Joe has been a member of the Surface Mount Technology Association since 1985 and currently serves as a member of the SMTA Board of Directors.